The History Check Project & its Social Enterprise Goals
Understanding the concept of the History Check© project will help you understand why the initiative is important to all organizations across Alberta.
Originally developed through a nonprofit society, History Check© was originally intended as a heritage app. The goal was to encourage historical societies and historians across the province to add their local information and keywords. The end result would be a single map based app that could be used to engage people in Alberta’s history and be used as a research tool.
It became apparent that the same goal could be applied to rural Alberta tourism using the same site design. Impact Tourism© was formed by co-creators Sheila Willis and Scott Astle and the nonprofit released History Check© was released to them to ensure success as a Heritage & Travel Companion app.
Sheila and Scott have stayed true to the initial social enterprise goals. The return on investment for small community tourism promotion is not always feasible. To support all small and rural businesses along with nonprofit societies Impact Tourism© offers:
- Free site listings to all businesses and nonprofits.
- Low-cost keywords for businesses, and complimentary keywords to non-profits.
- Free logo branding at the “place of business” for nonprofit societies.
- A no charge mobile app for heritage societies to preserve and promote local heritage sites and stories.
- Partnerships with governing bodies, economic development and tourism marketing groups for a cost effective alternative for app development.
- Collaboration with historical societies to share the historical sites and stories of their region.
In combination, all of these factors create an environment where multiple partners work together to enhance each others online presence. As a major partner, you will have vested interest in promoting all attractions, services and businesses in your area. By deciding to include your regional sites you will enhance the listings of all others in your area.